November 2020
Thursday, 19:30
Zoom Conference

Parish Council Meeting

Bridekirk Parish Council

Appletree House, Allerby, Cumbria, CA7 2NL

To all Members of the Council
You are hereby summoned to attend the meeting of the Bridekirk Parish Council to be held on Thursday 12th November 2020 at 7.30pm at via Zoom Conference for the purpose of transacting the following business.

DNS Cosgrove
Clerk to the Parish Council


1.8.20 To receive apologies for absence.

2.8.20 To approve as a true record the minutes of the Council meeting held 8th October 2020 (previously circulated)

3.8.20 Declarations of interest in items on the agenda.

4.8.20 Suspension of Standing Orders for members of the public to speak

5.8.20 Accounts - No invoices received at time of writing

  • To agree budget for 20/21 and set the precept request from Allerdale Borough Council. Previous year £6,500

6.8.20 Reports from outside bodies

  • Cumbria County Council
  • Allerdale Borough Council
  • Cumbria Constabulary

7.8. 20 Planning applications received

  • M Sport further Consultation Information circulated via email previously sent out ref Noise Management.

8.8.20 Clerks report

  • To receive an update on activity and correspondence received in the period since the last meeting, not covered in agenda items.
  • To include audit
  • Website compliance
  • BT phone kiosk in Tallentire.

9.8.20 To receive any reports on flooding issues across the Parish.

10.8 20 To receive update on any Parish Maintenance.

11.8.20 To receive any update on M Sport.

12.8.20 To update on installed defibrillator in Dovenby

13.8.20 Cumbria Community Foundation update 

14.8.20 To note the date and time of the next meeting Thursday 10th December 2020 7.30pm Bridekirk Dovenby School or via Zoom if lockdown/social distancing requires it to be so.


Minutes of the meeting of Bridekirk Parish Council held on Thursday12th November 2020
Present: Mr S Dumbill (Chair); Mr R Stenson,; Mr D Hodgson; Mr M Rollison; Mr M Buckley; Mr R Coy; Mr B Crosby; Mr F Hodgson; Cllr N Cockburn

1.9.20 Apologies for absence received Mr W Nixon; Cllr J Farebrother

2.9.20 The minutes of the meetings held on Thursday 8th October were (virtually) signed as a true record.

3.9.20 There were no declarations of interest in matters on the agenda.

4.9.20 There were no members of the public present at the meeting

5.9. 20 Accounts approved for payment - Payment for the Zoom meetings was agreed. Invoices to be forwarded to the Clerk for payment.

  • It was resolved to set the precept for the year 2021/2022 at its current rate but with the recognition that we may need to raise it in the future depending on the costs transferred when Unitary Authority takes place.

6.9.20 Reports from outside bodies

  • Nobody present from CCC - no apologies
  • Cumbria Constabulary - No report or correspondence
  • Allerdale BC - Cllr Janet Farebrother not in attendance but sent in a report. This was circulated prior to the meeting and related to the proposals being put forward for Unitary Authority across Cumbria with CCC wanting a single authority and the Local Authorities putting in for two authorities across Cumbria, no further details are currently available.
  • Cllr Cockburn - added to the discussion around the M Sport. There seems to be an effort to make sure that information is being as widely shared by Allerdale Planning Team in the interest of transparency. Clerk to ask for an urgent meeting prior to development panel.

7.9.20 Planning Applications -

  • None at this time.

8.9.20 Clerks report -

  • Website compliance. Mr Rollison has provided information about a service that was discussed in the meeting and it was resolved that Mr Rollison will follow up with the preferred supplier and come back to the PC with progress.
  • Use of the phone box for defibrillator housing in Tallentire. There has now been firm confirmation that there will not currently be the opportunity for the phone box to be purchased as the consultation led to Allerdale BC asking that it remain as a functioning call box and this cannot be jointly used by the PC.

9.9.20 Flooding updates

Tallentire -No issues despite the recent heavy rains. Drain is working

Dovenby. - There were some localised issues at one end of the village, and it has been suggested that we secure some flood sacks through Allerdale Borough Council. Mr Buckley has also asked if he can be authorised to get quotes for a digger and to clear some areas of the beck that need some attention. Too late in the year to use machinery but can do it by hand. Agreed that this can be moved forward. Dovenby Crags and Papcastle roundabout since resurfaced is now flooding more easily. Clerk to report.

10.9.20 Parish Maintenance

  • Potholes - continue to be reported, the road will be closed through Tallentire later this month for a few days whilst the work is undertaken there. Tallentire Hill road is in a very bad state. Parish Clerk to report the issues. Clerk will send a link for future usage and reporting by individuals.
  • Beck edge -Still awaiting quote.
  • Wall around the grassed area in Dovenby belonging to the PC. It had been agreed that we would progress with the work on a repair basis. Mr Armstrong met with the contractor. Concerns around the visual impact of the work if it was only repaired. It would cost £1,600 for the repair or approximately £4,600 for a dismantle and rebuild it. It was resolved that the work is moved forward as a rebuild once Mr Armstrong has confirmed the price.
  • Public Footpath - nothing further to report.
  • Footbridge in Dovenby.- Originally waiting for price from contractor, but it has now been determined that M Sport application originally included improvements to the pavement, but there are concerns that this was a possible/option so this may not be being progressed by CCC. Mr Hodgson will go back to them and get some form of commitment as things are going round in circles.
  • Speeding through Dovenby - Still awaiting further action but remains on agenda for updates as appropriate. We believe the consultation has commenced.

11.9.20 M Sport - previously covered in report.

12.9.20 Defibrillator for Dovenby - has now been installed. There had been issues with the batteries, this has now been removed and temporary replacement put in until it is fixed.

13.9.20 Cumbria Community Foundation

  • Mr Stenson submitted an update which confirmed that CCF did pay £5,000 towards Covid research, they cannot rule out any future applications into the fund. Discussion about possible applications that might be made into the fund. No further meetings have been arranged and no Zoom meetings planned so Mr Stenson is unsure if there are even any other proposals in the pipeline.

14.9.20 Noted date and time of next meeting : Thursday 10th December 2020 7.30pm Bridekirk Dovenby School or via Zoom if lockdown/social distancing requires it to be so.